Comic Review: Dejah Thoris #25


OK this issue really goes around the bend.

In this case we meet Kara, a young Ptarthan woman incarcerated in a Barsoomian mental hospital. Her problem? She believes she is the Heliumite Princess Dejah Thoris! As her and her doctor unravel her mind, Kara begins to suspect something isn't right.

The problem reviewing this issue is that most of it would fall in the category of spoilers. So I'll just say this: WTF! OK I've gotten used to the witch possessions, genetic vampires from Saturn, Machine Men, spoiled princesses from Yorn and other wackiness but this issue takes the cake. While I'm guessing this will payoff later, I suspect some will just wonder at one point this series went off the rails.

Not that this is a bad thing. Granted most of the plot seems to be a standard horror film (in particular the Halle Berry flick Gothika kept popping to mind) and writer Robert Napton does a decent job balancing "Kara" and her memories but it just pulls the rug out in the end and then tries to top that with a surprise revelation. As I said, it's not a bad thing, but after the ending I wonder what will happen next?

For the art, Debora Carita handles duties here. Her work is fine but this cutting back and forth between her work and Carlos Rafael is getting a little jarring here since they do have differing styles in their character designs and backgrounds. Otherwise it is good.

To wrap up, just approach with caution since I have a feeling that some will be annoyed and others intrigued by the turn of events. I know I'm heading towards more annoyed but that's probably just me.

Comments

Popular Posts